What is high on my list of “must do” river cruise itineraries? The Tulips and Windmills itinerary.. most river cruise lines offer this seasonal journey… mid March to the end of April. Miss out and you have to wait a year… I always miss out! (maybe I should have some one else book me on it!! like the painter with the peeling paint on there house or the plumber with the leaky faucet, sometimes my trips take second place to yours!)
So what is the draw? What is the “big deal’? Read on and then let me know what you think!!
Seas of flowers, picturesque windmills, and the balmy days of spring combine for a memorable cruise
All the things that come to mind when you think of the Netherlands and Belgium—colorful canals, whimsical windmills, vibrant tulips, rich maritime history, the art of Rubens and Rembrandt—are yours to experience in all their real-life glory.
This perfectly paced springtime cruise takes you to the historic windmills of Kinderdijk, the Belgian treasure of Bruges, the 70-acre Keukenhof Gardens with more than seven million flowers, and museums rich in art by the famed Dutch Masters. While visiting Enkhuizen and Hoorn, you’ll discover the impressive maritime history of days gone by. Stroll through cosmopolitan Amsterdam and trendy Antwerp, and learn about Dutch art, WWII history, and the Netherlands’ struggle against the sea on guided museum visits.
Along the way, you’ll indulge in the famous treats of the region. Sample delicate, handmade Belgian chocolates that are among the finest confections in the world. Feast on warm waffles with berries and cream. Taste delicious cheeses along with hearty beer—all while savoring the storybook atmosphere of some of Europe’s most charming towns.
Who will enjoy this cruise?
Flower lovers can experience the exquisite Keukenhof Gardens, which are open only nine weeks out of the year. Artists can discover treasures from the Golden Age of Dutch art in the Rijksmuseum. WWII historians can get a first-hand account of the war during a visit to the Liberation Museum. And those who simply love delicate chocolates and hearty cheeses will certainly enjoy this cruise.
What does your typical river cruise include?
- All meals onboard, prepared using the finest and freshest ingredients
- Breakfasts, Lunches, Dinners and afternoon “snack” or tea-time
- Daily shore excursions, fully hosted by English-speaking local guides
- Use of bicycles (on some lines a small charge on most lines FREE)
- Lectures while in some ports aboard ship
- An experienced Cruise Manager and attentive, all English-speaking staff
- Complimentary fine European wines, choice of beer, and soft drinks during dinner onboard; bottled water in your stateroom; and 24-hour specialty coffee and tea bar (some lines will limit the amount of beer or wine, on Uniworld for example though it is unlimited!)
- State-of-the-art portable audio headset system on all shore excursions (again, some lines do not use these.. but on your better river cruise lines they do)
- Captivating onboard local entertainment
- Captain’s Welcome Gala and Farewell Dinner
- All transfers on arrival and departure days (Uniworld only… other river cruise lines they will charge fees)
Now, we already know that I am Uniworld’s BIGGEST FAN!! What would their Tulips and Windmill’s cruise be like each day? I could cut and paste it all.. but take a look for yourself on their website: Tulips and Windmills from Antwerp to Amsterdam or reverse.
As always I am always more than happy to answer any questions that you might have on this river cruise or any river cruise you might be considering…. coming soon to my facebook page we will be offering a great guide just for “liking” our page that offers tips and suggestions for those of you considering taking a river cruise for the first time…. Be sure to call us at 888 877 8464 or email us at email@example.com.